The criteria for eligible cases is determined by the Community Accountability Programs contract and the experience of the facilitator volunteers. Generally, to qualify for funding, Community Accountability Programs must:
- Be volunteer based.
- Adhere to the Ministry’s Framework for Restorative Justice.
- Demonstrate community and criminal justice support, including victims organizations.
- Accept referrals for Category 3 and 4 Offences only.
- Not accept referrals for sexual assault, spousal assault, and hate motivated crimes.
- Conduct criminal record checks on all facilitators.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of the victim and offender.
Criminal Cases which apply:
Generally Termed Category 3 and 4 Offences, but there are specific limitations within those categories, CJF referrals from Crown and the RCMP are generally:
- Theft under $5000.00
- Mischief under $5000.00
- Assault that is NOT a power-based crime (power-based crime includes violence against women in relationships, sexual assault, and/or hate motivated crimes).